Download Printable PDF
3 cups water (to cook rice AND add to chili)
1 cup brown rice
2 Tablespoons oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (213 mL) tomato sauce
1 can (398 mL) tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup oats
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or
1 clove minced
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin (optional)
1 teaspoon basil, dried (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 can (398 mL) kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 can (341 mL) corn, drained and rinsed
- In a large pot, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add brown rice and bring back to a boil. Cover pot with lid and reduce heat to low. Cook for 40 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a separate pot add oil and onion. Cook over medium heat until onions are soft.
- Add tomato sauce and diced tomatoes to pot with the onion. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and add oats, water (1 cup), garlic, chili powder, cumin, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cook for 30 minutes. Add more water if it gets too thick. Stir often.
- Add kidney beans and corn. Cook for another 5-10 minutes until heated through. Stir occasionally.
- Great meal to freeze for another time!