Teriyaki Tofu Bites
Download Printable PDF
1 brick (350 grams) extra firm tofu
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tablespoons vinegar
1 Tablespoon canola or sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
2 teaspoons ginger root, grated (or 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder)
- Remove the tofu from the package over the sink.
- Press the tofu for 20 minutes: Wrap tofu in a clean towel, put on a plate, place something heavy on top (cans) and allow liquid to drain from tofu. This helps liquid drain out of the tofu so the tofu bites will be crispy!
- As you wait, make the teriyaki marinade: place water, brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, minced garlic and grated ginger in a small pot. Stir well with a spoon and then turn stove to medium heat.
- Stirring often, heat sauce until it boils, allow to boil for 30 seconds, then remove the pot from the heat and let it cool.
- Once the tofu has been pressed for 20 minutes, cut it into ½ inch cubes and add it to the teriyaki marinade and let it sit for 15 minutes in the fridge.
- Add the oil to a large frying pan on medium-high heat. Add tofu bites in a single layer and cook for up to 8 minutes, flipping so all sides get crispy. Remove from pan and enjoy!
- Tofu is a great high iron food for babies to try (over 6 months.
- To make a complete meal: Stir fry 3 cups of chopped vegetables in 1 tablespoon oil on medium high heat for 5 minutes. Add cooked tofu back to the pan with the vegetables and add 1 cup extra teriyaki sauce. Serve over brown rice.
- To make extra teriyaki sauce:Mix 1 Tablespoon cornstarch with 2 Tablespoons cold water until cornstarch is dissolved. Add to sauce. Boil for 30 seconds, add to frying pan after the tofu is cooked to make it saucy!