Sweet Potato Chili
Download Printable PDF
1 Tablespoon oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 can (540 mL) black beans, drained & rinsed
1 can (796 mL) crushed tomatoes
4 cups water
1 cup quinoa (rinsed)
1 can (540 mL) sweet potato, drained
1 Tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon coriander (ground)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Add oil to a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and green pepper. Cook until onion starts to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients to pot. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to medium-low. Put lid on pot and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use fresh sweet potato instead of canned: Wash and peel a large sweet potato and chop into small cubes. Use 2 cups in this recipe. You can also cook and mash sweet potato for baby!
- Quinoa (pronounced “keen-wah”) is a nutritious grain that is rich in protein and has a mild, nutty flavour. Try it as a side dish instead of rice, or as a hot cereal mixed with dried fruit.
- This recipe freezes well.