Quinoa & Bean Salad
1 cup quinoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup corn – canned or frozen (thawed)
1 can (540 ml) black beans
1 bell pepper, chopped (any colour)
4 green onions, chopped
¼ cup chopped cilantro or parsley (or 1 tablespoon dried parsley)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced (or ½ teaspoon garlic powder)
1 teaspoon cumin, ground
1 teaspoon coriander, ground
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Add quinoa, salt and 2 cups of water to a medium pot and cover with a lid. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to low. Cook for 12-15 minutes, until water is absorbed.
- Set cooked quinoa aside. Stir and remove lid to let cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together corn, black beans, bell pepper, green onions and cilantro or parsley. Stir in cooled quinoa.
- Make dressing: In a jar or bowl, use a fork to mix together vegetable oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over quinoa mixture and stir well.
- Enjoy immediately or store in fridge for up to 3 days.
- Add in chopped avocado or tomato, grated cheese or use a different type of bean
- Quinoa, a whole grain, is a great protein and fibre source. No quinoa? Use rice instead!