Morning Glory Muffins
2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup (250 mL) crushed pineapple (canned)
2 cups carrots, grated (about 2 medium carrots)
1 apple (peeled, cored and grated)
1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
- In a smaller bowl, stir together beaten eggs, oil, vanilla and crushed pineapple.
- Add contents of smaller bowl to large bowl. Add grated carrots, apple and raisins to large bowl as well. Mix everything together until just combined. (Do not over-mix, as it makes the muffins tough and dense.)
- Grease muffin tins or line with paper muffin cups. Spoon batter into greased muffin pan or paper muffin cups until 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- To test if the muffins are done: Stick a fork or toothpick in the centre of a muffin and pull it out. If it comes out clean the muffins are done.
Makes 18 muffins
– Mix in 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds, chopped pecans or chopped walnuts for a crunchy muffin!
– Add any leftover crushed pineapple to a smoothie, or mix with yogurt for a tasty snack.
– You can also freeze the pineapple in a plastic freezer bag for up to 3 months.