Morning Glory Muffins
2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 can (398 mL) crushed pineapple
2 cups carrots, grated (about 2 medium carrots)
1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, stir together beaten eggs, oil, vanilla and crushed pineapple, carrots and raisins.
- Add contents of medium bowl to large bowl and stir together until just combined. (Do not over-mix, as it makes the muffins tough and dense.)
- Grease muffin tins or line with paper muffin cups. Spoon batter into greased muffin pan or paper muffin cups until a little less than full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. To test if the muffins are done, stick a fork or toothpick in the centre of a muffin and pull it out. If it comes out clean, the muffins are ready.
Makes 24 muffins
– Whole wheat flour adds extra fibre. Use white (all purpose) flour if you don’t have whole wheat.
– Add a peeled, chopped apple in step 3 of the recipe for added nutrition and flavour.