1 tablespoon Olive oil
½ cup Yellow onion, diced
2 cloves Garlic cloves, minced
1/2 Large jalapeno, minced
3/4 cup Quinoa
1 cup Vegetable broth
1 (15 ounce) can Black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 ounce) can Fire roasted tomatoes, diced (not drained)
1 cup Corn kernels
1 teaspoon Chili powder
1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, diced
1 lime Lime juice
2 tablespoons Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- In a large pot over medium heat, add oil, onion, garlic, carrot and celery. Cook until vegetables are soft.
- Rinse red lentils under water. Add lentils and 2 ½ cups water to the pot. Cover and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Stir in tomato sauce, oregano, basil, parsley, cayenne pepper, salt and sugar.
- Cook covered for about 15 minutes on low heat until bubbly and hot. It will burn easily if cooked on a high heat.
- In another pot, boil water.
- Once boiling, add spaghetti. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes until spaghetti is tender. Drain spaghetti. (whole wheat pasta takes a little longer to cook)
- Serve sauce over spaghetti.
Did you know?
- Lentils are great source of iron. Soft, pureed lentils can be a given to a baby after 6 months.