Mexican Fiesta Casserole
Download Printable PDF Vegetarian Version
1/2 cup orzo pasta
1 Tablespoon oil
1/2 pound (230 grams) ground chicken or turkey
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 2 cloves crushed garlic)
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
1 can (540 mL) tomatoes, diced and drained
1 can (341 mL) corn, drained
1 can (540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large pot of boiling water, add orzo pasta. Cook about 4 minutes or until pasta is soft. Drain and set aside.
- In a large frying pan add oil, chicken or turkey, onion, chili powder, garlic, cumin and oregano. Use a fork or spoon to break up the meat while cooking. Cook meat until it is no longer pink. Drain off the fat.
- Add tomatoes, corn and black beans. Heat through.
- Mix cooked pasta and meat mixture together in a square casserole dish. Top with grated cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until bubbling and browned on top.
- Ground chicken and turkey have less fat and are healthy alternatives to ground beef.