Mexican Fiesta Casserole with Beef
1 1/2 cups orzo pasta
1/2 pound (227 grams) ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
2 ½ teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder (or 2 cloves of garlic)
¼ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon oregano
1 can (796 mL) tomatoes, diced, drained
1 can (341 mL) corn, drained
1 can (540 ml) black beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup cheese, grated
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large pot of boiling water add pasta. Cook for about 4 minutes or until pasta is tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, add: beef, onion, chili powder, garlic, cumin, and oregano. Use a fork or spoon to break up the meat while cooking. Cook until ground beef is browned. Drain fat.
- Add: tomatoes, corn, and black beans.
- Layer the cooked pasta on the bottom of a casserole dish. Pour the beef mixture over top of the pasta. Top with cheese.
- Bake in oven, uncovered for 30 minutes.