Meatballs & Tomato Sauce
Download Printable PDF
1 pound (0.5 kg) ground beef, lean
1 egg, beaten
¼ cup milk
½ cup oats or breadcrumbs
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons (optional) worcestershire sauce
- Heat oven to 400°F and lightly oil a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well with a spoon or clean hands.
- Shape meat mixture into 24 small balls (about 1-inch each) and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Check they are cooked by using a thermometer (71°C or 160°F) or until no longer pink inside. Set aside.
Tomato Sauce Ingredients:
1 tablespoon oil, canola
3 tablespoons onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can (796 ml) tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add chopped garlic and cook for another minute, stirring regularly. (or replace with ¼ teaspoon garlic powder in step 8).
- Add diced tomatoes (undrained), basil, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper and cook on medium low for 15 minutes.
- Add meatballs into the sauce to warm them and serve over cooked pasta. Recipe makes 24 meatballs and 3 cups sauce.