3/4 cup flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup plain yogurt or buttermilk*
1/3 cup oil
1 tablespoon lemon peel, finely grated (see tip below)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons sugar
*To make buttermilk, stir 2 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice in ¾ cup milk. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a loaf pan with oil.
- In a large bowl mix together both flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with a fork or whisk. Stir in sugar, yogurt or buttermilk, oil and grated lemon peel. Pour into flour mixture and stir to make a smooth batter.
- Spoon the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 40-50 minutes. To test if loaf is done: Stick a fork or toothpick in the centre of the loaf and pull it out. If it comes out clean the loaf is done.
- To make topping, heat lemon juice and sugar in a small pot. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
- Poke holes in the top of the hot loaf with a toothpick. Pour the lemon topping over the loaf. Let loaf cool completely before removing from pan.
Makes 10-12 slices
-To grate the lemon peel, use a cheese grater, vegetable peeler, lemon zester or sharp knife. Grated lemon peel is also called “zest” – it adds flavour to a recipe.