Khichuri – rice, lentils and vegetables
1 cup uncooked brown rice, washed
2/3 cup dried red lentils, washed
6 1/2 cups water
2/3 cup onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
4 tablespoons vegetable (or canola) oil
2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated (or ½ teaspoon ginger powder)
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped (or ½ teaspoon garlic powder)
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/2 cup green peas, frozen or canned
- In a large pot, add brown rice, red lentils, water, onion, chili powder, turmeric, vegetable oil, salt, ginger and garlic.
- Stir ingredients together using a spoon, cover with a lid, and put on medium heat.
- Cook about 30 minutes or until rice is almost cooked.
- Add in green peas and tomato. Mix them together until well combined.
- Cook for another 5 to10 minutes with lid on and serve.
Makes about 4 – 5 cups.
- Use any vegetables of your choice, such as: carrots, cauliflower, green beans etc.
- You can mash the khichuri and offer to your baby if they have already tried many of these foods.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for 2 – 3 days.