Italian Lentil Spaghetti
Download Printable PDF
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced (or
1 teaspoon of garlic powder)
1 carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/4 cups red lentils
2 cans (398 mL each) tomato sauce
2 teaspoons each (parsley, oregano, basil)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
375 grams (size of a “Toonie”) spaghetti, whole wheat
- In a large pot over medium heat, add oil, onion, garlic, carrot and celery. Cook until vegetables are soft.
- Rinse red lentils under cold water. Add lentils and water (2 1/2 cups) to the pot. Bring to a boil, then cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Stir in tomato sauce, parsley, oregano, basil, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. It will burn easily if cooked on a high heat.
- In another pot of boiling water, add spaghetti. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes until spaghetti is tender (whole wheat spaghetti takes a little longer to cook). Drain spaghetti. 6. Serve sauce over spaghetti.
- Lentils are a great source of iron. Soft, pureed lentils can be given to a baby at 6 months.