Corn, Bean & Squash Soup (Three Sisters Soup)
Download Printable PDF
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 carrots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
8 cups vegetable broth (see tip below for homemade option)
1 butternut squash, peeled & cubed (see Tip below), or 5 cups frozen, cubed squash
1 can (341 ml) corn (or 1 1/2 cup frozen corn)
2 cans (540 ml each) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add in onion. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, garlic and celery and cook for another 8 minutes, or until softened.
- Add vegetable broth and turn heat up to high to bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat to medium and stir in cubed squash. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add beans, corn, thyme and pepper. Stir and cook for another few minutes, until squash is soft when you poke a fork in it. Enjoy now, or store in fridge for 2-3 day.
-To cut butternut squash easily and safely: poke holes all over the skin of the squash with a sharp knife. Put squash on a plate and microwave for 4 minutes. Cut in half and remove seeds and pulp. Peel the skin with a vegetable peeler. Chop into cubes.
-Visit hsmm.ca/recipes for a “Quick & Easy Vegetable Broth” recipe