- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (first 5 ingredients) together in a large bowl.
- Make 3 holes, put vinegar in one, vanilla in one, and oil in one.
- Pour water over the whole bowl and mix well with a fork.
- Grease a square pan (8 inch by 8 inch) with oil.
- Pour cake batter into pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. (use a toothpick or a small knife and insert it into the centre of the cake, it should come out clean with no wet batter on it)
Berry Compote Topping:
Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often.
Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium. Continue simmering for about 10-15 minutes, stirring often and mash the fruit with a wooden spoon. (frozen fruit will take longer than fresh fruit)Let the compote cool for a few minutes before serving over the chocolate cake.
Allow leftover compote to cool completely before covering and refrigerating for 3 days.