Chicken Taco Bowl
4 cups water
2 cups brown rice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large can (354 g), or 2 smaller cans (150 g each) chicken, drained
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons cumin, ground
2 teaspoons paprika
4 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 can (796 ml) diced tomatoes, drained
1 can (341 ml) corn, drained
1 can (540 ml) black beans, drained and rinsed
3 tablespoons lime juice, from bottle or 1 lime
- Add 4 cups of water to a large pot. Bring to a boil. Add rice, stir and bring back to a boil. Cover pot with lid and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 40 minutes or until rice is tender.
- While rice is cooking, add oil and onion to a separate pot. Cook on medium heat until onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients to onion mixture. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Portion cooked rice into individual bowls and add chicken mixture on top.
- What to use instead of canned chicken? Try cooked chicken breasts or thighs. Or use leftover roasted chicken or turkey.
- Optional toppings: Chopped avocado, green onion, grated cheese, chopped fresh parsley or cilantro