Cheesy Tuna Bake
Download Printable PDF
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 can (284 mL) cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
1 can (170 g) tuna, light, drained
1 can (398 mL) peas and carrots, drained
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a small pan over medium heat, add oil and onion. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until onion is soft.
- In a large bowl, mix together cream of mushroom soup, milk and water. Stir in uncooked orzo pasta, tuna, peas and carrots, cooked onion and spices.
- Grease a square casserole dish (8 x 8 inches or 9 x 9 inches) with margarine or oil. Pour tuna mixture into dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake in the oven for 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes (it will thicken as it cools).
– Babies 6 months and older can eat fish. Fish is a source of iron and healthy omega-3 fats.
– Aim for 2 servings of fish each week if you are pregnant: 1 serving = 75 grams (2.5 ounces)
– Try canned salmon instead of tuna – crush the bones with a fork before mixing salmon with other ingredients
– Instead of orzo, try a different type of pasta: Cook 1 cup macaroni or small shell pasta (following directions on pasta package)