Cheesy Tuna Bake
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 can (284 mL) cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
1 can (170 g) tuna, light, drained
1 can (398 mL) peas and carrots, drained
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a small pan over medium heat, add oil and onion. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until onion is soft.
- In a large bowl, mix together cream of mushroom soup, milk and water. Stir in uncooked orzo pasta, tuna, peas and carrots, cooked onion and spices.
- Grease a square casserole dish (8 x 8 inches or 9 x 9 inches) with margarine or oil. Pour tuna mixture into dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake in the oven for 45 to 60 minutes (fully cooked when orzo pasta is soft). Let cool for 10 minutes (it will thicken as it cools).
– Babies 6 months and older can eat fish. Fish is a source of iron and healthy omega-3 fats.
– Aim for 2 servings of fish each week if you are pregnant: 1 serving = 75 grams (2.5 ounces)
– Try canned salmon instead of tuna – crush the bones with a fork before mixing salmon with other ingredients
– Instead of orzo, try a different type of pasta: Cook 1 cup macaroni or small shell pasta (following directions on pasta package)