Caribbean Beans & Rice
Download Printable PDF
1 Tablespoon Vegetable oil
1 medium Onion, chopped
2 stalks Celery, chopped
1 Green pepper, chopped
1 can (398 mL) Canned tomatoes, diced
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon Garlic powder (or 1 clove garlic)
½ teaspoon Cumin
4 teaspoons Parsley
¼ teaspoon Red pepper flakes, crushed
½ teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Pepper
1 cup Brown rice
2 cups Water
1 can (540 mL) Canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery and green pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, cumin, parsley, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, brown rice and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 40 minutes.
- Stir in black beans and cook for 5 minutes, or until heated through.
Did you know:
– Black beans are a good source of protein, iron and soluble fibre.
– Soft, pureed beans can be a given to a baby after 6 months.