Black Bean Chili
Download Printable PDF
1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
1 medium Onion, chopped
1 medium Green pepper, chopped
1 can (540 mL) Black beans, drained & rinsed
1 can (796 mL) Crushed tomatoes
2 cups Water
1 cup Quinoa
1 can (398 mL) Pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie “filling”)
1 tablespoon Chili powder
2 teaspoons Cumin
2 teaspoons Paprika
1 teaspoon Coriander (ground)
¼ teaspoon Cayenne
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- Add vegetable oil to a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and green pepper. Cook until onion starts to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients to pot. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to medium-low. Put lid on pot and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
– Try fresh sweet potato instead of canned pumpkin: Wash and peel a large sweet potato. Chop 2 cups for this recipe. You can also cook and mash sweet potato for baby!
– Quinoa (pronounced “keen-wah”) is a grain that is rich in protein and has a mild, nutty flavour. Try it as a side dish instead of rice, or as a hot cereal mixed with dried fruit.
– Add ½ cup–1 cup water while cooking if you prefer a less thick chili.