Black Bean Burrito Bowl
4 cups Water
2 cups Brown rice
1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
1 medium Onion, chopped
1 tablespoon Cumin
2 teaspoons Paprika
2 teaspoons Oregano
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoons pepper
1 can (796 mL) Diced tomatoes, drained
1 can (341 mL) Corn, whole kernel, drained
1 can (540 mL) Black beans, drained and rinsed
- Add 4 cups of water to a large pot. Bring to a boil. Add rice, stir and bring back to a boil. Cover pot with lid and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 40 minutes or until rice is tender.
- While rice is cooking, add oil and onion to a separate pot. Cook on medium heat until onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients to onion mixture. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Portion cooked rice into individual bowls and add bean mixture on top. Add optional toppings.
Chopped avocado, green onion, grated cheese, hot sauce, lime juice, chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
Add meat to increase iron & protein:
Try chopped , cooked chicken thighs or breasts, or ground beef, chicken or turkey
– You can also add the bean mixture and rice to a tortilla and roll it up to make a burrito