Best Ever Bran Muffins
Download Printable PDF
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
1 cup wheat bran
1/2 cut raisins
1 banana, mashed
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl add milk, vinegar or lemon juice. Let stand for 10 minutes. This is how you make soured milk or buttermilk.
- Add: wheat bran, raisins, banana, eggs, oil, sugar, flour, salt, baking soda.
- Mix the ingredients together until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Grease muffin tins or use paper muffin cups. Spoon batter into muffin pan until 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes.
- To test if the muffins are done: Stick a fork or toothpick in the centre of a muffin and pull it out. If it comes out clean the muffins are done.
Makes 12 muffins
- Remove the peel off overripe (brown) bananas, place in a bag and put in the freezer. When you are ready to make muffins, defrost frozen bananas in the microwave until they are soft enough to mash.