Beefy Italian Casserole
2 cups pasta (macaroni, penne, or rotini)
1 pound (500 grams) ground beef
1 smallonion, chopped
2 carrots, thinly sliced
1 small zucchini, sliced (optional)
1 can (398 ml) tomato sauce
1 can (398 ml) tomatoes, diced
3 tablespoons (50 ml) flour
1 teaspoon (5 ml) oregano
1 cup mozzarella cheese (partly skim), shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a pot of boiling water, add pasta. Cook for about 8 minutes or until pasta is tender. Drain pasta and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, add: beef, onion, carrots and zucchini. Cook on medium heat until ground beef is browned and vegetables are tender. Drain excess fat.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, flour, oregano. Mix together well. Add to the beef mixture.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring often until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour drained pasta into a casserole dish. Pour meat mixture over the pasta.
- Spread cheese on top.
- Bake in oven at 350°F for 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.