Beans and Rice
Download Printable PDF
3 cups water
1½ cups parboiled rice, uncooked
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic (optional) OR 1 tsp garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
⅛ teaspoon celery seed
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1 can (19 oz or 540 mL) tomatoes, diced, canned
1 can black beans
- In a large pot, add water 3 cups
- Stir in parboiled rice. Bring to a boil again. Turn heat to very low and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes. Don’t lift cover to peak until time is up. Set aside.
- In a separate large pot or saucepan add canola oil 1. Heat on medium heat.
- Add: onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder, ground cumin, celery seed, ground black pepper, worcestershire sauce, tomatoes, black beans, and cooked rice
- Bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates.
– Serve with grated cheese and pita bread.