Download Printable PDF
1 medium potato (or bake many potatoes at once)
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat it to 400°F.
- Wash the potato and dry with a clean kitchen towel. If the potato has big black spots, dig those out with a sharp knife.
- Poke the potato all over 8 times with a fork.
- Set the potato directly on the oven rack. Bake until you can easily slide a fork into the center of the potato – about 60 minutes. If the potato is still hard, keep baking it until it’s done. A smaller potato will take less time.
- Cut lengthwise to open up the potato. It will be quite hot! Add toppings as desired (See page 2). Eat right away or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Microwave your potato instead:
- Poke holes in potato and place on microwave-safe plate and cook on high for 7 minutes.
- If your potato isn’t tender after 7 minutes, continue microwaving. Check after each extra minute.
– Russet potatoes are perfect for baking as they are high in starch so the dry heat in the oven works well.
– Sweet potatoes are a great option – they cook the same as a white potato!