Apple & Butternut Soup
Download Printable PDF
1 butternut squash
1 tablespoon oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
4 cups water
1 apple, peeled, cored, chopped
2 carrots, peeled, chopped
1 potato, peeled, chopped
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wash the squash. Poke holes all over the skin of the squash with a sharp knife. Place on a plate in the microwave for 2 minutes. Cut in half. Scoop out the seeds into a bowl. You can roast the seeds later.**
- Place squash halves face down on a baking sheet lined with tin foil. Bake for 50 minutes. Let cool. Once cooled, use a spoon to scoop out the cooked squash. Place in a bowl and mash.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (including cooked squash) and stir.
- Turn heat to high, watch closely. When the soup boils, lower heat to medium. Cover the soup, let cook for 30 minutes until very soft. Stir often.
- For a smooth soup, remove pot from the heat, put a hand blender into the soup pot to blend it. (or use a masher or fork)
**Roast the seeds:
Remove seeds, wash off pulp, pat dry, mix with a splash of oil and salt, bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes.